Iphones are made in China primarily because of the lower labor costs and the availability of a skilled labor force. Additionally, many of the components used to assemble iPhones are manufactured in China, making it more cost-effective for Apple to assemble its products there. The Chinese government also offers incentives for foreign companies to set up manufacturing operations in the country.
China has some of the lowest labor costs in the world, particularly in comparison to developed countries like the United States, Canada, and many European nations. According to data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, average hourly labor costs in China were about $4.75 in 2019, compared to $22.73 in the United States. This significant cost difference is one of the reasons that many companies, including Apple, choose to manufacture their products in China.
There are several benefits for Apple to manufacture its products in China:
- Lower labor costs: As mentioned earlier, labor costs in China are significantly lower than in developed countries, allowing Apple to save money on manufacturing.
- Skilled labor force: China has a large and skilled workforce that is capable of assembling and producing complex electronics like iPhones.
- Supply chain: Many of the components and raw materials used to manufacture iPhones are already produced in China, which makes it more efficient for Apple to assemble their products there.
- Access to a large market: China is the world’s largest market for smartphones and other consumer electronics, having Apple’s manufacturing base in China allows them to take advantage of this market.
- Government Incentives: The Chinese government offers various incentives for foreign companies to set up manufacturing operations in the country, which can also be beneficial for Apple.
- Logistics: China has a vast and well-developed logistics network that allows Apple to quickly and efficiently transport finished products to other markets worldwide.
Read also Why AirPods Have Vents On The Outside